j

j

  • I believe that every country and culture has invaluable perspectives and lessons to teach us.
  • My personal journey is equally guided by traveling and educational opportunities.
  • This is where I share my experiences and photographs as I wander and learn.

Monday, April 30, 2018

29th birthday post

So tomorrow is May 1st . . . which means my 29th birthday is in 11 days! That's a lot of numbers.
I honestly don't know why I'm counting down, I really don't care. In fact, I actually find it irritating when people make a big deal of their birthdays. Look at me getting so hypocritical in my old age. ha!

Then again I find nearly everything irritating now-a-days haha! ( just me? )

Anyway, I saw someone on social media post something when they turned 29 . . .
"30 things I want to do before 30"
As catchy as that is, to be honest I tried pretty hard and just couldn't come up with 30 things!!
I'm gunna assume that's a good sign, and ditch the very buzz-feedy idea.

Instead, I've decided now is just as good a time as any to reflect and reminisce ( . . .Does anyone actually know how to spell that word without spell check?       . . . freaks.)

So I'm hesitant to share this because I've lived well, man!! I always feel a bit "bragg-y" when I post about what crazy shit i'm doing or where i'm traveling to next, but honestly this is just my real life . . .  *shrug*

When i'm inevitably poor again someday, we can drink cheap wine together and bitch about the good 'ol days, but for now . . . I'm not gunna lie, I've lived it up pretty damn hard thanks to a bit of luck and privilege, a lot of stubborn determination, and an often fearless mindset.

<< Opportunities abound when you don't limit yourself to one tiny point on the globe. >>

So here we go... my 20's... the highlites:

Graduated college with my bachelor's degree in elementary education

felt real heartbreak for the first time . . . but never regretted it.

moved back into my childhood home and got hired onto staff as a temporary person! = crazy meaningful experience. (this part will make no sense to you if you don't know my story)

saved up my pennies and went on a month long road trip out west with my buddy Mike... revisited most of my childhood favorite national parks.

Nannied for a family that impacted my life forever. <3

Moved to South Korea to teach for a year... best decision I ever made!

Traveled 9 countries in Europe with my buddy Mike.

Moved back to South Korea for a second year and rescued 2 dogs.

Traveled all over South Korea, Tokyo, Vietnam, and Thailand.

Got married to my curly headed texan on my Gram's mountainside estate in PA.

Moved to Lubbock, Texas. Worked part-time for a local non-profit just for fun-zies. Became a nanny to a family who introduced me to this tiny little country called QATAR.

Moved to Qatar (near Saudi Arabia) and taught 2 years (so far) as a 2nd grade homeroom teacher at an international baccalaureate school.

since moving... visited:

Sri Lanka - snorkeled with sea turtles at christmas
Dubai- best aquarium and Indian food in my life
Bahrain- visited friends
India- golden triangle
Thailand- island hopping with friends
USA- PA-NY-MA-MI-TX - met my nephew for the first time <3
Jordan- Petra, Dead sea, and 1st scuba dive ever in the red sea - Trip with girl friends
Spain- Madrid and Seville
Lebanon- Traveled with family

Upcoming plans... visiting:

Morocco, Rome, Croatia-*hoping to sky dive for the first time in Croatia ...and completely get lost inside GREEN nature... away from most human contact for awhile.

Southern Italy- with mom and sister... super stoked for Sicily and the Almafi coast

Turkey- *hoping to ride in my first hot air balloon over the colourful hills of Cappidoccia

Goals for 2018-2019: complete some personal projects in art, music, and writing.



While I know that travel isn't everything, I think we can all agree it is something.



I'm guessing after the 2018-2019 school year, Kyle and I will be ready to relocate.
So the cool thing about my 30's is going to be seeing where in the world (literally) life and opportunities take us!

Surely, back home again for visits once in a while, but possibly anywhere else too!
So to all the people who frown in the face of a new decade... I say "whatever, dude."
(Super insightful, I know)

I've already stopped lying to myself about a lot of things like sleep, partying, and drinking the recommended amount of water, so my 30's have basically gotten a head start.




Unrelated side-note: if I ever publish an actual book, ya'll are gunna buy a few copies to pass around right? :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment